Ok, I have to fess up here. I am not usually a great fan of beans. I mean, I’ll eat them, with stuff, like avocado, cheese, chips, sour cream (get the idea?). But a bean soup? It’s ok. I’ll have some bread and maybe…it’ll sit in the fridge for a while — nine days, even?
But when I tried my go-to soup recipe with Orca beans? Hold.The.Phone. Something about these beans made this soup AMAZING. I even did the same exact thing with another kind of beans, and it just wasn’t the same. Get Orca beans and make this soup. You will *die* with joy.
- 1 package orca beans
- 2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes (I use a vegetarian version)
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp dried herbs, such as basil, oregano, sage, or parsley, if desired
- Place the beans in a stock pot with enough water to cover them, and bring to a rolling boil. Let boil for a minute, then drain and rinse.
- Place the beans in the Crock-pot, along with the bouillon cubes, and cover with water (I used about 8 cups in the end). Add 1 TBS olive oil (for flavor and body).
- Pour 1 TBS olive oil into the stock pot and heat on medium. Add chopped onions and garlic, and allow to cook for a few minutes, until softened. Add celery and carrots, and cook until softened. Add to the Crock-pot, along with seasonings and any more water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4.
- Adjust seasonings and enjoy!
I even made this soup on New Years’ Day last year, in place of the traditional “lucky” black-eyed-pea soup, since no one in our house likes black-eyed-peas… #sorrynotsorry