I hope you had an awesome week so far and are ready for the weekend-to-come! I know I am! 😉 In preparation of this weekend we decided to share with you one of the simplest and yummiest soup recipes.
Do you like a good hearty soup? If your answer is yes, you’re in good company! This minestrone is very nourishing and full of flavor.
Before sharing with you all the details, I’d like to mention that I don’t always use measurements when cooking a soup – everything is more of a ballpark. I like to rely on my senses rather than what the recipe dictates. That way I get to adjust the flavor according to my liking and learn how to cook better without a recipe. If you are like me, by all means try this soup by adjusting the measurements according to your taste. I’m sure you’ll end up with a delicious aromatic minestrone! 😀
- 1 onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 15 oz. (425g) canned red kidney beans
- 15 oz. (425g) canned white kidney beans
- 2 medium zucchini
- 8 oz. (227g) can green beans (can be frozen)
- 16 oz. (454g) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10g) salt
- 3 Tbsp (44 mL) vegetable stock base
- 8 cups (1.89 L) water
- handful of fresh parsley
- 1. Dice the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes.
- 2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and green beans until vegetables are slightly browned, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add water, tomatoes with their liquid, zucchini, stock base and salt. Over high heat, heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- 4. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 30 min. or until all the vegetables are very tender. Do not overcook.
- 5. Stir in beans without the liquid. Cook for 10 min. longer or just until the soup is slightly thickened.
- 6. Add chopped parsley.
- I make this soup on Sunday for the upcoming busy week and refrigerate it in individual portions. It can be taken to work as a great nourishing lunch and you don't have to worry about what to cook because this soup can be refrigerated for almost an entire week! I hope you enjoy as much as we do in our home!
- Bon appetit! 🙂