Do you have a love-hate relationship with traditional picnic foods? All those mayonnaise, pasta, or egg-based dishes that may or may not be on your healthful food plan! How about a lightened-up version of everyone’s old favorite, egg salad? Egg salad sandwiches are great because they are a complete meal, if you add a few veggies and fruits on the side, but they can also be a light summery meal on a day you don’t want to load yourself down.
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise (or Vegenaise)
- salt and pepper to taste
- your choice of chives, dill, or paprika to taste -- about a TBS of one (or a tsp of each for a combination??)
- Bring salted water to boil in a large pot. Add the eggs to the boiling water, let come to a boil again, and then turn off and leave covered for 15-17 minutes. Plunge them in an ice-water bath and leave till cool. This process helps them peel easily.
- Mash up eight of the whole eggs and the whites of the other 4. (You can use the leftover yolks for breakfast, pie crust, or just crumble them up for the birds.) Add mayonnaise till you like the consistency -- I like less than other people. Add salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste.
- Put a big scoop on a piece of great bread and enjoy!
- I caramelize onions and add them on top of the egg salad for an extra layer of flavor. You can also use cucumbers, butter lettuce, or even mini peppers. Use good whole-grain bread, too!